I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t met Deb Devine, my first drama teacher, who inspired me and for the first time gave me a reason to really love going to school.”~ Jack Black
24th STreet Theatre is a unique organization blending professional productions and world-class artists with quality arts education since 1997. We are one of the only professional Los Angeles theatres offering after school programming for elementary school children and one of the very few organizations approved by both the Los Angeles Unified School District and the Los Angeles County Arts Commission as arts education providers.
24th STreet Theatre’s educational programming is overseen by Artistic Director Debbie Devine, who also heads the Drama Department at the prestigious The Colburn School of Performing Arts. She is certified by the Los Angeles County Arts Education Training Program and has been teaching for over 30 years.
- After school arts education and enrichment program for local students who otherwise would have little to no access to arts education and instruction.
- Serves 150 children and teens every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday every school year
- Aligned with the California Standard for the Visual and Performing Arts to help students develop the arts education skills expected for each grade level.
- Project Director, Debbie Devine, was one of the first 25 arts administrators/artists in the County certified by the LA County Arts Commission to provide arts education training that incorporates the Standards for the Visual and Performing Arts and the core curriculum Standards in math, reading and language arts.
Field Trips – Enter Stage Right
- Exciting and engaging participatory performance
- Uses theatre to teach math, history, language arts
- Aligns perfectly with the Common Core standards
- Recommended for grades 2nd-5th
- If you’re interested in more information, complete this short form and we’ll reply with date availability
Teen Leadership Academy
- Opportunity for youth ages 14-18
- Mentor After ‘Cool students (1 dayweek)
- Participate in Drama III Workshop (Wednesday)
- Attend field trips around Los Angeles
- Potential for paying jobs upon program completion
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 213-745-6516 / stop by between 12-6pm
- Combines the experience of a field trip with the on-your-feet excitement of a professional theatre class
- Come to our theatre or we can come to your school for a more traditional residency in the classroom or auditorium
- Introductory classes at the Elementary level or Master classes at the Middle and High School levels
- Custom built for both your curriculum and scheduling needs
- Our Master Teaching Artists work from 24th ST’s signature teaching techniques
- Guaranteed to engage and excite your students, encouraging them to utilize their creativity and imagination in the classroom and in life
Professional Development – Teaching as a Performing Art
- By Award-winning Arts Educators Debbie Devine and Jay McAdams
- Guaranteed to make you remember why you became a teacher
- Imparts effective teaching strategies through art making in theatre
- Integrate basic performance techniques in the everyday classroom to make your job more rewarding and creative
- Help students become better and more enthusiastic learners
- Teaching as a Performing Art has been taught across the country and the world