After 'Cool Program
It all started when...
Now more than ever, our young people need a well-balanced education, strong life skills and the ability to perceive a better life for themselves in order to become self-sustaining members of our community. While these elements may come naturally in many middle to upper class neighborhoods, they are beyond the grasp of most inner-city students. This is certainly true in our own University Park neighborhood composed primarily of low-income families where most of the neighborhood youth are defined “at greater risk” as they face daily exposure to gang activity, drug and alcohol abuse at school and in the streets, welfare or single parent families, lack of supervision, and homelessness.
The After ‘Cool Theatre Program offers free professional theatre arts activities designed to stimulate young minds, offer creative approaches to thinking “outside the box,” and a forum for presenting a wide array of perspectives and cultures.
More about the program...
- After school arts education and enrichment program for local students who otherwise would have little to no access to arts education and instruction.
- Serves 150 children and teens every school year with our weekly program.
- Aligned with the California Standard for the Visual and Performing Arts to help students develop the arts education skills expected for each grade level.
- Project Director, Debbie Devine, was one of the first 25 arts administrators/artists in the County certified by the LA County Arts Commission to provide arts education training that incorporates the Standards for the Visual and Performing Arts and the core curriculum Standards in math, reading and language arts.
24th STreet offers three classes for various age groups:
- Tuesday, Ages 7 – 9 from 3:30 – 4:45
- Thursday, Ages 9 – 11 from 3:45 – 5:15
- Friday, Ages 12+ (no High School) from 3:45 – 5:15
To sign up for 2018-19 Sessions:
Email Miranda@24thstreet.org or call 213-745-6516. Se habla espanol.
Thank you to the following funders for your support of the After 'Cool program.